Help Name Our Website

I like stackoverflow and privatevoid, but I came up with devhackers.com as another alternative.

Hm, how about veloder.com?

I also liked fizzbuzz. :slight_smile: I think the whole ā€œtwo innocuous wordsā€ thing might generally be good, particularly if itā€™s going to be a social site.

Hahaha, aintbroken.com would be amusing, though probably not ideal. :slight_smile: Sigh, Iā€™m probably just giving these all away to squatters.

-Max

why not jeffatwood.com?

Having voted for stackoverflow.com, Iā€™d like to add returnfalse.net (or .com or .org, of course).

Oh, and friendeveloper.com isnā€™t taken. At least, not as Iā€™m writing thisā€¦ :slight_smile:

-Max

How about:

completecoder or thecompletecoder
codeforall
codesmiths
happy-coders
alldaycoders
procoders or pro-coders
thecoders or the-coders

And my personal favorite:

codewhores

hehe fun, here is my 10 min, havent had time to test.

bitminds.com
byteminded.com
code.rage.us (courageousā€¦ :slight_smile: )
code.foc.us (code focus ā€¦ ( or code f#ck us, hehe ) )

But why not invent a name? Seem to me that alot of company names take 2 words and combine. Maybe Micro-soft started that trend. I once did a ā€œcompany nameā€ generator by combining two words, very funny. But dosent add any charm. You could just as well play Frodo112 or L3g0las in wow or some other sick world. Or maybe some other culture, Ubuntu is doing alright with their name.

But good luck! :slight_smile:

Donā€™t worry about cost associated with a domain squatted name - just but it, thatā€™s what I did.

Youā€™ll get the name you want, and domains are real estate - location, location, location.

codercorner.net

A developer community website is a great idea. I like IT Toolbox for professional networking but it is too broad in scope. Maybe you should name it ā€œMyCodeā€ if you want it to be the MySpace for developers.

ASP.NET Weblogs has been accepting everyone to blog there but I donā€™t see a strong community being created. I still think you need video communication to create a real sense of community. Iā€™ve found several developer podcasts but they are scattered and hard to keep track of.

The name should be funny so when people leave your website they remember it, but it should be easy to see that itā€™s funny. privatevoid requires some thinking for instance

Manrico Corazzi: ā€œwhat-the-hackā€, ha!

I like that the best, but ā€œdeferenced.comā€ tops everything else on your list by a mile.

Remember there are other top level domains besides .com, too.

what about devshag
or is it to 80ā€™ies

I would recommend this article; http://www.thinkvitamin.com/features/biz/how-to-name-your-company

pointers4u.com

yadcs.org [yet another developer community site]
ognadcs.org [oh god not another developer community site]
stopthemadness.org

Youā€™re much better off, IMHO, thinking of a distinctive, catchy name that doesnā€™t mean anything

This sounds like great advice until you try to actually do it.

doublefudgeā€¦ you have no imagination!!! The following .com names are all available at the time of writing:

fangledoo.com
pippipo.com
limapop.com
quengol.com
xenaaz.com

And so the list goes onā€¦

These took me a matter of seconds to think up.

I often donā€™t know what the title of a particular blog post will be until Iā€™m 90% done writing it. This is a normal workflow, at least for me: things do not reveal themselves until you near the end.

So true. I appreciate you asking everyone to make suggestions, as I too have a hard time naming things. With this in mind, I hope youā€™ll come back when things are a bit more fleshed out (and not so private :wink: and ask for more suggestions if you still need them. Iā€™m sure people will be more able to come up with appropriate suggestions.

Best of luck!

First of all, I wish you the best of luck, I really enjoy reading your blog.

I was wondering why you have not applied the rule ā€˜double clikcing sucksā€™ to the voting button. :slight_smile:

nullreferenceexception.com