Introducing Stackoverflow.com

What’s this new site going to give us that places like CodeProject.com don’t already provide in their articles and forums?

(I haven’t listened to the podcast; I’d usually much rather read a text transcript, or skip the information entirely, than listen to someone speak. Maybe that’s just me being weird like that, though. :slight_smile: )

Whatever the new site is exactly, best of luck with it!

You and Joel together! This is going to be great. Didn’t see that one coming. Congratulation to both of you! I will definitely be a routine visitor there. Looking forward to this one.

Is it going to be “orange” too? :slight_smile:

Funny. Just the other day I discovered CustomizeGoogle and used it to block ExEx from my Google results. I didn’t know about any trick–is it worth it?

+1 for transcripts. I don’t do audio.

+1 on the name - I like it!

How about change programmers to developers? Not everthing is about programming, like the lenghty articles on Joel on Software about UI, almost nothing in those are about programming per se. Anyway, good initiative.

In before wasabi.

Just kidding. Congrats!

Atwood and Spolsky in one place?!?? I’m already addicted.

One of the startups I’ve been thinking of for a while is an experts-exchange “done right”. I’m intrigued at how this will work out. How do you get quality answers? I was on a forum yesterday, something to do with XPath and one of the responses was “You could try this…”. People that post “you could try” are annoying. How do you filter the good vs annoying? People rate the response? How do you get them to rate the response? How often does someone “rate” the on-line MSDN help? Rarely. OK, off to the podcast.

Why this could be good: it’ll provide actual useful stuff from competent and capable people, instead of teenagers paraphrasing MSDN documentation and passing it off as a brilliant contribution to humanity. Honestly - tutorials that are newbies describing their misinterpretation of what they’ve figured out from sparse documentation can, on occasion, also not be helpful.

Why it could easily suck: either too little content, or emphasising quantity over quality thus leading to crap content.

Still, I’m praying there’s a god who’ll make sure it’s not another “we’ll get people to provide all the content for free and then we’ll make lots and lots of money from the goggle ads” site. Unless the people providing the content are getting the cash I’ld rather have another “vapid commentary blog” because at least the guy making the money would have to write something that keeps people reading.

Alas, I find podcasts to be way too time consuming. I love the name of the web site - it will have good branding and name recognition for programmers. I’ve been considering doing a similar thing with TheCompilerIsYourFriend … but just haven’t been able to find the time since I’ve been busy …oh… getting married ! :slight_smile:

Sounds like a great idea! I don’t know of any site that adequately gathers programming information in one place like this. I’m really looking forward to using the site.

I blogged about this a while ago. I call it the expert-novice problem. Your site won’t solve anything. There are plenty of excellent, free forums where programmers hang out and help each other. What’s missing from your idea is incentive. Why should an expert spend his valuable time educating newbies? Out of kindness, I sometimes answer programming questions I see on various forums, but most of the time I don’t bother because I have better things to do. How are you improving this situation?

For those who choose not to download the “podcast” - it is interesting, but only about 10-15% of it has any connection to the new site. The rest is a somewhat randomly rambling, but still interesting, discussion about web technology, Microsoft’s changing position in the marketplace, laptops, Vista vs XP vs OSX, blogging, programming documentation, etc.

I don’t know that a transcript would be all that helpful :slight_smile:

Hi Jeff this is great - will be listening to podcast #1 tomorrow.

I think this partnership is great because I when I speak of you I often speak of Joel and vis-versa. In my opinion you two have by far the most entertaining, educational, convincing and impactful writing styles of all bloggers I read. There’s a significant difference in the quality of your guy’s posts and everyone else’s.

I just hope you keep blogging at the same “intensity”. Joel is an amazing writer, but he’s really pulled back from the depth of posts he would do 2/3+ years ago. The stuff from his book was brilliant and I wish he still did that type of writing. I just hope you don’t do the same.

Regards,
Matt

ps Plan to make an RSS feed for the podcast?

Well guys, Larry said it won’t work, so let’s pack it up and call it a day… :stuck_out_tongue:

Unlike the people above, I like the audio podcast format. I drive long distances on the weekends and technical podcasts that keep my brain engaged are what keep me from falling asleep at the wheel!

Hmmm…

I guess I’ll give you both the benefit of the doubt because I’ve enjoyed reading both of your blogs over the years.

That said, I’m wondering if this may be a move in a direction away from what I found valuable about both of your sites: that they were general enough to apply to many different languages, platforms and technologies. A site for collecting “good programming knowledge” inevitably will get specific and detailed, and since I’m a Python/MySQL/Mac guy, I’m not sure a site managed by Jeff Atwood and Joel Spolsky will be the best resource for my detailed technical questions. How can you compete with comp.lang.python? Or other communities that have the core developers actively participating?

As for a podcast, you need to do a little homework on the status quo. Download a few technical podcasts from iTunes and play around with them. All the good ones have track indexes and notes that give you “random access” to the podcast. And all of them have some sort of subscription capability like RSS. You really should put some effort into doing this part of the site right if you want to keep people interested.

Still, like I said, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and form my opinion after a couple of months of seeing and listening to what you guys have to say.

Good luck!

Hasn’t this all been done before, what makes yours different. ho hum.

My first thought – one that I hope you’ve thought long and hard about, but I mention it just in case – is: What’s your plan and strategy for moderating things?

Personally, I’m a big supporter of the beliefs of BoingBoing’s new message-board moderator (Teresa Nielsen Hayden), which roughly amount to “a moderator is necessary for keeping discourse on a polite and respectful level, because obnoxious twits beget more obnoxious twits and then all the valuable contributors leave.”

For a site like this, it may – or may not – be useful to do “that’s off-topic here but useful, I’ll move it” sorts of moderation as well. Depends, I guess, on whether you’re expecting thread titles or deep-search to be the primary way of finding things, and whether the damage to conversations is worth it.

Behold the combined power that is Jeff and Joel! I’m glad you’ve thrown it out there that stackoverflow is ‘by programmers, for programmers’, otherwise I’d be afraid of the havoc you two could wreak. As a relatively inexperienced programmer, I am really looking forward to seeing what this will become. Congrats and good luck.

Excellent… now… where’s the RSS?

Shouldn’t it be stackoverflow.org if it’s free?

I was just looking at ExEx today and wondering “why isn’t there a better replacement for this,” congratulations to the two of you, I’m really looking forward to what this ends up providing.

(Also, I’m surprised that stackoverflow.com was available!)