Help Name Our Website

I can’t believe so many people voted private void, other than its link to programming,

C, not programming. There’s a whole universe of languages out there that do no use either of those as a keyword.

If you are going for a site that’s limited in scope to C-like languages, I suppose this could be appropriate.

Many many many years ago people named a newborn after he/she was born. The name was chosen according to circumstances surrounding the birth or the looks of the baby.
Native Americans believed names did not need to be fixed. Sitting Bull renamed himself Jumping Bull; Dances with Wolves became Busy Bee.
My 0.02$ is pick any name and change it later on; we’ll follow.

Fork Off.

Only if you’re a UNIX geek.

kashif

I like codershappyplace.com/ and it’s free and clear.

programmersview.com

thedeprecated.net

As you said, there are many that don’t use those keywords… and oh my, strangely enough - a whole load that do…

I’d sit here and name those that don’t use one of those two as keywords, but the list would be interminable. In fact, C would be on that list (it doesn’t use “private”).

The only ones I know of that do use them are C++, C#, and Java and Javascript.

Admittedly they are important languages. But still, its just a small selection. Hardly a “whole load”.

This isn’t a matter of being “pedantic”. The fact is that looking at a name like that, I expect a website about programming in one of those languages. I would not expect to find stuff there of any relevence to programming in general, because “void” is not a general programming concept. Its a syntactic hack C used to avoid requiring separate keywords around suprogram definitions, as most other procedural languages do.

Perhaps your universe is contrained to those four languages and the name just sounds OO-ey to you. That’s fine. However, I think that how the name strikes everyone, not just you, is a relevant issue.

controlspace.com

How about MajicPurpleHamsterSoftwareProgramming

Haven’t checked if registered or not.

dynamicprogrammers
or
dynamicprogramming (similar to your favorite, metaprogramming)

greedyprogrammers

goprogrammers

Haven’t checked if registered or not.

dynamicprogrammers
or
dynamicprogramming (similar to your favorite, metaprogramming)

greedyprogrammers

goprogrammers

I vote for fellowhackers.com , stackoveflow looks cool too.

coderhabitat.com
coderoony.com

1010101010101.com (shorter variations are already taken)
nerdroundup.com

My personal favorite all-time name for a coder website is a school called bignerdranch.com :slight_smile:

From your list, I like stackoverflow.com

(…and in what I consider a cool-domain coup, I personally am the proud owner of nerdaphernalia.com)

code:true

I would love privatevoid.com !!!

I also twittered you - derekslenk

If you are interested in finding a domain name in the coding/programming niche that also matches a generic keyword phrase that gets searched in Google then you may want to give the type in traffic finder tool at http://www.DomainSuperstar.com a try.

gosub10 is just too BASIC

How about onerrorresumenext.com? If that’s too VB6, there’s always emptycatchblock.com

offdutyninjas.com (software development is just a day-job)

I really like F.O.R.'s suggestion of

fizzbuzz.com

as well.