Farewell Stack Exchange

I am no longer a part of Stack Exchange.

I still have much literal and figurative stock in the success of Stack Exchange, of course, but as of March 1st I will no longer be part of the day to day operations of the company, or the Stack Exchange sites, in any way.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original blog entry at: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2012/02/farewell-stack-exchange.html

Thank you for making our lives that much better with all your hard work mate.

Congratulations on your next phase, we all appreciate what you’ve done with this one!

Good for you. Your kids are fortunate to have a father with such clarity of mind on these matters.

Thank you for Stack Exchange. It was great to meet you and your team at previous MIXes.

Great to see that you managed to get something running as smoothly as this. After all a good business owner is the one that can build his business so it can run without him being around all the time and it seems you succeeded at that.

I have used stackoverflow a lot and will be using it a lot in the future.

Thanks for that! It’s great to see a community site without spamming or trolling, where people can actually learn stuff!

Godspeed, I shall be watching and waiting for the next big thing…

I respect your decision Jeff, your kids are your most important project. Thanks for all the effort you have put in to make Stackoverflow awesome. You, and the community have restored my sanity many times.

Thank you for creating Stack Exchange. It is an invaluable resource that helps millions of lives and will continue to for many years to come.

Thanks for the hard work that made it so much easier for the rest of us to get our jobs done.

Thanks!

Also when you ‘come back’ I will be looking forward to playing some of the computer games you are going to design - you obviously have the perfect profile for a game designer, so that is what you will be doing in the future.

All the best! As someone with a young child, I applaud your decision to not “buckle down”, keep putting in 80 hour weeks and throw away your family life. Thanks for setting a good example for all family geeks.

Whoa. Congrats on your new adventure fine sir. We shall continue to follow your great expedition with keen interest.

You’ll be missed Jeff. It’s been a pleasure working with you.

Oh man, I hope Joel doesn’t go off the rails and tries to make SO a cash cow (I kid, I kid). Seriously though, thanks Jeff for SO, user #302 here, it’s insane how large the site has gotten in four years.

Thank you, Jeff.

thanks for making the web a better place!

Shouldn’t this post be on meta.codinghorror.com ? :slight_smile:

Best wishes, Jeff. As you noted, too many in our field don’t realize what’s really important until it’s too late. I don’t think there are many people who find themselves on their death bed saying “I wish I had worked more.”

Nice post. Professional work may seem rewarding externally (from other people’s eyes looking at you) but what really counts are the lives of people that are immediately around you i.e. your wife and children. As fathers, our success is measured really on how we have raised our children and loved our wife.

Congratulations on the double addition to your family. I am sure the joy and exhilaration starting and handling StackOverflow / StackExchange will pale in comparison with the feeling of your children tugging at your heartstrings.

Good luck!