Your Favorite Programming Quote

I also like Steve McConnell. I like his idea of designing in greater and greater detail until you feel that implementing the design would be easier than designing in more detail. I also hold dear the belief that good software design/architecture/development is about managing complexity.

This idea relates to a fantastic insight from Juval Lowy in his WCF book.

He points out two very important things.

Quote:
"…If you examine the brief history of software engineering just outlined, you notice a pattern: every new methodology and technology generation incorporates the benefits of its preceding technology and improves on the deficiencies of its preceding technology. However, every new generation also introduces new challenges. I say that MODERN SOFTWARE ENGINEERING IS THE ONGOING REFINEMENT OF THE EVER-INCREASING DEGREES OF DECOUPLING."

Quote:
"…Good coupling is business-level coupling…Bad coupling is anything to do with writing plumbing."

This is important when you look at the disadvantages of too much coupling.

Juval also points out in his book the relationship between service(or component) sizes and the number of services(or components) in a system.

The integration cost is proportional to x squared and the cost per service(or component) is proportional to 1 on z squared, where x is the number of services and z is the size of each service.

So for some values of x and z the product x*z will be a minimum and this is the minimal cost.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Or ‘Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.’

“I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind.”

Alan Kay

see google’s programmers search engine http://devshots.com

Devshots returns Google search results, but emphasize on programming related sites and resources. So the search result will be smart and accurate.

My best quote was spoken to me by a veteran mainframe programmer when I was young(er) and while discussing with him several options that would be included in a new feature we were about to begin to implement together.
He said: “That can be an enhancement”

Very wise man, I’ve stated it to customers numerous times since.

Why dont you check out more programing quotes at this page : http://www.best-quotes-poems.com/quotes-by-category.html

Don’t Code What You Can’t Debug Later!

Funny stuff. A little nerdy, but I can appreciate it. This actually might be where my friend gets all of his coding/informatics quotes. Some of these seemed familiar…

Of late, Josh Bloch and Bruce Tate. (Yes, I am a Java coder.) Over the long term I cannot think of any one person…they have all mashed together over the course of time.

Excellent quote links. I’ve been collection quotes for a while. One of my favs:

“This is not to say that design is unnecessary. But after a certain point, design is just speculation.” --Philip Chu

pasting code from the internet into production code is like chewing gum found in the street.

“the secret to survivin is knowin what to throw away and knowin what to keep” - the gambler

pertains to gambling, coding, and many other areas…

I don’t know if I have a favorite quote, many of the ones already posted are funny and original.

Its hard to say who have been my greatest influences as a developer. You would think it would be with some of the writers of the code I have maintained or looked at over the years.

Sadly, after millions of lines of code, very few contain the author or date in which it was written. Its funny that no one actually authors thier code (or very rarely) in some form of comment. Of course you can go to source control, but usually it user ABC1234 or some Windows log in name.

So, my greatest influence has the been the unknown coder. Some of the unknown coder’s code has been good, some ugly, and some bad.

“Who are you? How did you get in my house?”

• Donald Knuth

(God bless xkcd - http://xkcd.com/c163.html)

“PL/I and Ada started out with all the bloat, were very daunting languages, and got bad reputations (deservedly). C++ has shown that if you slowly bloat up a language over a period of years, people don’t seem to mind as much.” --James Hague

Nathan Myhrvold

“Software is a gas - it expands to fit its container”

my personal favorit quote: ‘Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.’ – Albert Einstein

some of my other faroirts are here: http://froz.net16.net/Quotes

Also check out SoftwareQuotes.com - it has many great programming quotes.

1 Like