When In Doubt, Make It Public

rm = add blocking software

I’ve dreamt two more:

login, passwd, whoami = OpenID

rm = RIAA

Flickr may have been 2004, but public photo sharing was alive and well in 2000 on Webshots when I first joined it.

People tend to look confused when you explain that this “new” thing has been around for ages. Like when IM became big a few years ago. I’ve been using it for 20 years, it used to be called ‘talk’.

Anyway, great suggestion. Perhaps I’ll implement /bin/false or something :slight_smile:

You mustn’t forget this one:

ps2pdf == ps2pdf.com

Jeff, thought you might like to know, Ray Ozzie is picking up your vibe:

http://rayozzie.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!FB3017FBB9B2E142!285.entry

Seems to me that Google is just a hair away from something like this with their Google Notebook. Combine the shared notebook with an RSS feed (as they’ve done in Google Reader), and I think they’d be just about there.

reboot = Windows

Interesting ideas. But as a programmer, one might say that all of those examples make something that was private not public, but protected. A picture published on Flickr is available for everyone… through the Flickr site. Making it really public would allow us to put a picture and description ‘out there’ on the web and allow anyone to access it using any interface of their choosing. Which is, to my understanding, also what the semantic web envisions for Web 3.0.

And to make the link another one of Jef’s blog posts (http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000842.html): if that happens, there might be much service providing billionaires too.

Oops. Correction of that last paragraph:

And to make the link with another one of Jef’s blog posts (http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000842.html): if that happens, there might be much fewer service providing billionaires too.

It’s a good article I understand the business ideas is more useful to people If you are interesting. Who are the world’s most influential business thinkers alive today. Who are interesting visit the site a herf:"http://www.ideacenter.com/"business ideas/a

I just wanted to let you know that in your font, “r n” looks a lot like the letter m.

wow, that’s taking it a long way … there’s going public and then there are the secrets. to just throw anything that seems to be obscure to you in the open is very radical. not sure how much I would enjoy being confronted with anybody’s dirty laundry all the time.

a bit of both; be out there, but don’t throw just everything out there; behave :slight_smile:

ok I’ll play:

finger .plan == blogger and the rest of the blogosphere

rn == slashdot/digg (if you think about it this is more sensible than bloglines as an analogy)

vi == Writely

ftp == BitTorrent

I went to Blimpie today and had a ham and cheese sandwich. I just took a picture of it, video taped myself eating it, and will type up a short synopsis of it on Twitter. After that my hunger will go away. I hope!

Things are public for a reason, because they are important. If I go to a park and see a statue of someone, its probably because they did something meaningful, like founding the town or something similiar. There isn’t not going to be a statue of me eating a ham and cheese sandwich, because it’s not important.

The YouTubes, Twitters, Flickrs, etc of the world empower the average Joe to feel important. Look at my video on YouTube! Look at my picture on Flickr! Notice me! I am important.

There is nothing wrong with that, however, should I be wasting my time taking the picture of the ham and cheese sandwich? Doing the video tape of the eating of the sandwich, etc? That’s an individual choice. I do think we (general population) are posting items of little social value or worth. But we have the technology and hard drive space, so lets fill them up.

Most of the stuff up there isn’t that important and the majority of it can probably deleted, but when you give someone the ability to reach the masses, it will always be popular because that’s human nature and everyone wants to be noticed.

Maybe people are too busy to make things public, but they are not too busy to view it or comment on it. How are these sites so popular? People are obviously logging on to view content. Reality TV, etc. People love to watch.

Anyway, even something as crappy as the Wet Pets driveby still got 4860 views (myself included) plus 2 negative responses. Plus negative can sometimes be good, just ask William Hung.

Too much noise out there. Just shoot me if I am ever wearing a video headcam.

@Kevin “which commands haven’t been implemented yet?”

GZIP and BZIP2, and the other compressors are the only ones I can think of. Google is almost there, but you can’t gzip/bzip2 files online though a Google search prompt.

Ironic to look back on this from the perspective of 2019, when any scrap of your data accidentally made publicly available seems to inevitably be monetized, eternally abused, and generally made to come back to haunt you in a way that has you swearing you’ll never allow a single private word of yours to touch the internet again.

The internet used to be a domain primarily of hackers. Now it’s a domain primarily of capitalists and profiteers. It’s interesting how this post straddles the juncture.

1 Like