The CODE Keyboard

And yet it doesn’t fix my biggest pet peeve: no hex keys on the numpad!

@Wizlb—I too am a dedicated Kinesis Advantage user, and it’s hard for me to imagine wanting to go back to a standard, straight keyboard, for reasons I last wrote about in detail here: http://jseliger.wordpress.com/2011/07/17/further-thoughts-on-the-kinesis-advantage-unicomp-space-saver-and-das-keyboard%E2%80%94two-years-later/ .

Want want want! But man, it’s tough to justify 150 bucks for a keyboard. I spent a ton of time trying to find a decent priced backlit keyboard - almost was going to go with the Logitech but a bunch of reviews criticized the number keys that could be held down at the same time. Right now I’m on a Lenovo keyboard - they actually make some decent keyboards back to the Thinkpad branded ones. Gonna bookmark this one either way…not sure if I’d rather have the keypad-less one or not.

The reason you find yourself building a new keyboard is because you’re on windows, and the key layout is nauseating.

If you were on a mac, you wouldn’t have these problems in the first place.

1 Like

It’s not ergonomic, and why the backlit keys? Do you look at the keyboard rather than at the screen whilst you are typing?

When I read the post I was expecting something that helps me type with relatively ease the semicolons, round, square and angular brackets, the forward abd back slashes etc. I dont know the solution to the problem but I am ready to pay $150 for that. I dont care what sound it makes while typing.

I want to second trubo’s suggestion - the Filco Majestouch Ninja (Cherry MX Brown) is the absolute best keyboard I have ever tried, and I code on it every day. I have owned it for a year and it still looks and works like it is brand new. Of course, I did have to get it in Tokyo…

http://www.diatec.co.jp/en/det.php?prod_c=772

http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Keyboard-FKBN104M-EFB2/dp/B004Z0XR2O/

There’s no backlight, but who looks at the keys while typing anyways? Also there’s a tenkeyless version for those looking for amazing quality in a smaller package.

I always dreamed of a keyboard with fully re-programmable E-ink keycaps. It would be like Optimus Maximus but with E-ink instead of OLED. E-ink would keep price down and allow the keys to be more or less permanent when unplugged.

Another vote for an ergonomic version here. At least you people who can type with your wrists at that unnatural angle have dozens of decent-if-not-perfect keyboards to choose from. There are only a hand full of ergo keyboards and they all either mechanically suck or have counterproductive layouts of the ctrl and alt keys.

I do like just about everything else though. I like the configurable win/caps keys, and finally a standard cable!

Now that’s a sexy looking keyboard. There is only one feature missing that will keep me from switching from my BlackWidow Ultimate… macro keys, and built in on-the-fly macro recording. I know I could achieve the same thing with a script and some hotkey assignments, but, that would involve writing code. Was this omission an oversight or intentional? If intentional, why? To keep size down?

If I had the resources to do absolutely anything, I think I would privatize, standardize, and centralize global (or at least national) healthcare data storage. Provide hospitals with transparent, fluid, responsive means of interacting with cloud data and relieve them of the logistics of storage while lowering their costs. Replace what the government has tried (and failed) to do through legislation with capitalism… par for the course.

1 Like

Put myself on the waiting list for an 87-key. Hoping they’re back in stock soon!

Not sure it is going to replace my IBM Model M from 1986 that I am still using with a PS/2 to USB converter. That keyboard weighs a ton and has had far too many liquid drinks spilled over it but somehow it still works. The only thing I wish is that it was US layout as I brought it from over from the UK when I moved here.

Gaaaah

Why no contour.

It was so close to being perfect.

I’ve got a minor quibble with this point:

“Nothing lets you get your thoughts out of your brain and into words faster and more efficiently than a well made keyboard.”

I contend that the spoken word actually lets you get your thoughts out of your brain and into words faster and more efficiently. You essentially have a peripheral connected directly to your brain: the mouth. Babies learn to transform their thoughts into words much faster with the spoken word. UX designers have realized the power of the spoken word and brought us Siri. People would still rather call customer support instead of typing out an email.

Only in specialized circumstances is the keyboard faster, such as typing out code for a program.

I gotta have my contour. Seriously though, cannot code full time without some sort of ergo keyboard. Ergofy this sucker.

OK, so how is this better than a Razer?

Ordered. What can I say? I already have Das Keyboard, some Cherry MX such and such and I’m typing this on a MacBook. But with money to burn in my PayPal with the failure of Ubuntu Edge I’m like fuck it, send me a keyboard, you people who care about keyboards.

For those wanting ergonomic, there are mechanical options out there - check out the Ergodox (open source hardware/software, massdrop.com sells kits commercially), Truly Ergonomic, and Kinesis Advantage.

Perhaps you can join efforts with “Tactile Keyboards” community on Google+, started by Eric S. Raymond

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=4975 (Keyboards are not a detail!)

They plan to improve and modernize Model M Keyboard

http://wikkii.org/wiki/Kickstarter_to_update_ModelM_Keyboard

@boo: I own a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate which uses Cherry MX Blue switches. I think it’s a great keyboard but it’s kind of loud so I’m not sure my work colleagues would appreciate if I used it at work.