Investing in a Quality Programming Chair

the crazy way so many very smart people are devoting so much attention to what may be the wrong end of the syllogism

There’s an inherent zero-sum argument here that makes no sense. You can care about quality seating and get exercise and have other interests and practice programming, too.

You’d probably be less angry if you were sitting in a nice, comfortable chair as you wrote your comment. That’s all I’m saying.

It still shocks me how much so called quality office chairs cost. Are they really that much better or do office suppliers realize that companies (which are the major customer) have deep pockets?

I’m sure my chair at work costs at least in the $500 range and I don’t find it anymore comfortable than the Office Depoit chair I spent $100 for at home.

Maybe I’m missing something by not having one of these great, expensive chairs, but as the saying goes, ignorance is bliss!

I’ll have to agree with some of the previous posters. People need to get up and walk around a bit at intervals rather than sit in a chair for eight hours straight. And after you get home/end work do some exercise. Some strength building work and yoga stretching is great for keeping the body from developing the problems some of you are facing with muscle tension and joint issues. Sitting in the same comfortable position banging away on your keyboard for hours on end is a recipe for long term physical disaster.

Granted no one wants to sit on an uncomfortable chair for any length of time, but once you get to a point where you can be comfortable at your workstation you still can’t sit there for hours and then go home and sit on the couch for hours watching tv and expect to have no physical issues.

An excellent budget chair for programmers is the Malaga 3140 (if you shop around, you can get one for $250 or so). It is highly contoured, has generous cushioning, and has more adjustments than most expensive chairs. I’ve visited several show rooms and tried dozens of chair models, and it wins hands-down. I use one at home extensively.

As an aside, I use the HumanScale chair pictured in the OP at work (no choice) and wouldn’t recommend it. The sitting surface has very little padding and is very flat, and coworkers agree that the back feels too close regardless of adjustment. It also prevents you from locking the tilt mechanism; if you prefer to sit upright rather than recline you better love its pre-configured position or you’re out of luck.

500$ for a chair?
would you pay for a chair that cost half of your paycheck?

Working at home, my chair and desk get more use than anything else I own. More than the car in my garage, the couch in front of the TV. All of which cost more than the chair I bought (TV included).

Blowing a grand on a chair was nothing and to me was bargain for more comfort and improved productivity. I’d do it again. Why one will spend the money for a new computer/laptop that only lasts a few years at best, but not on a nice comfortable chair and desk is beyond me when the chair and desk will pretty much last forever.

I ended up with a Steelcase Leap Chair (black leather; it was on sale). For the desk I ended up with an Anthro Standard Fit, but wish I would have sprung for the Details Series 3.

By the way, Steelcase told me that they were working on a head rest accessory for the Leap, like they have for the Think.

this one is 85$

http://www.officemobtrade.ro/images/scaune/p4-scaun-mare.jpg

Seating matters indeed. Forget chairs. Sit seiza. You will never have problems remembering to stand up and move around a bit every half an hour or so, and it will help your health more than any chair whatsoever.

Chris: my chair and desk get more use than anything else I own

Damn, that’s the saddest sentence I’ve ever read.

Your CHAIR gets more use than your [bicycle|running shoes|gardening tools|food processor|fishing rod|guitar|baby stroller|ham radio]?

Has anyone here seen WALL-E?

Many many good points…

I just came across this and was fascinated by the passions (or lack therof) of what people will sit in for most of their hours of the day.

I’m not a programmer, but I do sell chairs online, and have a special affinity towards ergonomics.

What I tend to say is… sit in what’s comfortable (that doesn’t HAVE to be expensive!), make sure your workplace is set up correctly (monitor arm, good keyboard tray, footrest for shorter folks works wonders), and make sure you take a break and stretch often!

There are many reasons for ailments, and not one thing is going to cure everything.

One thing I am fond of saying is that you could buy the most expensive chair anywhere, but if you don’t take care of the other things around you… you might as well be sitting on a rock!

Captain Kirk never would have accomplished all the things he did with a crappy captain’s chair. I’m just sayin’.

Jeff, are you going to let us know which chair you decided to buy?

Chairs?

Not that I’m getting too much work done today. I keep hitting refresh on this thread. The attention to sloth on display here is damn near hypnotic.

Really? Are you sitting in a chair while compulsively refreshing the thread about investing in a quality chair? :slight_smile:

I haven’t had any pains or problems with my $160 Office Depot chair which I’ve had for 2 years. So I’ll probably stick with it as long as no problems develop.

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SKid=363891N=201652An=browse

Controls for tilt, height, back height, back angle. Lumbar cushioning.

My company bought a litter of Aerons. They’re OK, but 1) the pneumatic post collapsed in one of them so we had to ship it back; 2) unless you have a private office, and I don’t, flatulate craftily as there’s no fart-muffling upholstery and padding. 3) if you’re office is drafty, then your ass and back will be drafty too. Some people complain that the mesh material damages their clothing, but I haven’t noticed.

Yawn

aww man- and I’ve been sitting in a god damn cheap plastic lawn chair since I started working(well, not working for money, but using) a computer around 5-6 years ago… I don’t make enough to buy a really good one however…

Spoiled, spoiled, spoiled…

Most of us would die if we had to work at a real job that involved any amount of manual labor. And you are complaining about chairs? Give me a break, we are privileged to work in an:
Air conditioned
Non-life threatening
Generally congenial
High paying job
with
benefits that most other people would kill for…

And you are complaining about chairs?

By the way; how much is that Mirra anyway? I need one because well um, my lower lumbar (or whatever it is) needs a little more support, and my Aeron is getting outdated, and well, I deserve one, and my co-worker got a Mirra, and…

No mention of the Steelcase Amia so far – anyone tried this chair?