Investing in a Quality Programming Chair

Paul Souders: it’s a poor craftsman who blames his tools.

Yes, but it is also a poor craftsman who never thinks about upgrading his tools.

I’m not sure if this topic actually has anything to do with productivity, but anyone who has even worked with anyone who has back problems knows it’s a worthwhile discussion. I just wish there was a more comprehensive survey of chairs.

Anyone know any benefits of arm rests? I think they’re bad for you.

All I know is that you definitely want padded ones rather than cast plastic ones. In my experiences, the latter will give you symptoms which resembles a tennis elbow:
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00068

Paying $500-2500 for a chair is ludicrous. As of right now, I’m starting a company that makes quality, ergonomic chairs for an affordable price. I’m OK with $250-300, but anything above that is poppycock. Balderdash. Criminal.

It’s another Atwood Ooooohhh, look at me and all my disposable income!! post.

Just kidding.

Ah, chairs programmers … I thought I was alone.

I could not agree more with what Bernhard has to say. It is not really the quality of chair [ well, I guess it matter to some extent ] but the fact that the sitter must consider the fact that the body must move. Blood circulation, position/shape of the spinal chord, etc matters far more than the quality of the chair. I personally like to change chairs every so often. I never sit for longer than an hour. Stretching, or simply standing up after every 45 minutes to an hour is crucial for me.

I have been told that quality of attention may drop because of movement, but I really don’t think that there are many people who can keep high quality focused attention for more 30 minutes to an hour any ways.

Arm rests do suck unless they are adjustable to a high degree, then they can build a nice support for hanging elbows [ that is if you are not using a keyboard tray ].

I wonder about keyboard trays. Are they really helpful or just another work furniture fashion? I was never able to learn how to get along with them.

After injuring a disc in my lower back, I found that an exercise ball ($15) works best for extended sitting. It allows me to keep my pelvic floor muscles engaged (think Pilates), which is important for supporting the back.

Just wondering, Jeff, do you know what caused you to drop nearly 5,000 RSS subscribers? The other day you passed 103K, now you’re at 98140 (at the time of this writing).

Just wondering.

I think you’re wrong about the price - I went out to Office Depot to buy an Ergohuman mesh for $500+, and they had another Ergohuman there for under $200 - not a mesh, with a few less features, but it felt just about as good. I forget the exact model but that’s what I recommend unless you are a rich bastard.

All of that is good for the US, anyone knows where to find some good chairs in China (Shanghai) ? I mean not buy online, i would like to try first, and i have yet to find any good place.

You can develop bad posture habits in any chair, regardless of price. That’s the point a lot of people tend to miss.
Don’t slouch, divide your working hours into 55 minute work / 5 minute callisthenics segments, adjust your keyboard and screen so as to avoid unnatural angles for neck and wrists.
Since about a year I have X11 set so that the screen-saver kicks in after 55 minutes. My lower back pain was gone after a month of that routine.

I just want to say I really did enjoy your post. It is an very important topic. In much the same way one should upgrade his/her monitor from CRT to an LCD to relieve the eyes from stress and strain. I for one has much less problems with my eyes since I switched (thankfully a long time ago now.) To the people not liking the post: Don’t you comprehend how utterly broken your bodies will be if you keep sitting in non-ergonomic chairs for the rest of your programming life? There ARE other things important to developers than code.

I agree with Bill - this blog is deteriorating. All the recent posts are either all pictures and quotes, revisits, or badly concealed ads for Herman Miller office chairs.

yeah try not to laugh but my current chair is from walmart for about $30, seemed nice but I’ve been sitting here for about 9 minutes and my ass is already numb … and just to note, 8 hours a day? I think most programmers spend a good 12+ in their chairs … at least I do, maybe I’m lazy :slight_smile:

I am never going back to a chair. A good gym ball is the thing for me.
Took me a week to get used to it, but then it’s the best thing ever.
Ever had back problems? Well moving to a gym ball no more back pain.

Am I the only person who has always hated the Aeron chair? It’s not comfortable at all, and yes, I sat on one every day. Give me lots of foam…

At Novo Nordisk (the largest insulin provider in the U.S.) in Princeton, NJ every employee from the person who answers the phone to the big wig on the top floor has an Aeron. It’s such a great company to work for.

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could take a look at some of the higher end chairs in Paris. Amazon.fr is giving me no joy.

Steve, I don’t know about hating the Aeron, but I know you’re not alone in not preferring it. We had at least 6 or 7 people with the option to switch their relatively cheap foam chair for an Aeron, and the Aeron sat in the corner… it was just not as comfortable.

As a computer programmer (err, I mean software architect) I spend most of my day sitting at a desk working on a computer. I am a little larger than the average person, and I tend to be like the “princess and the pea” when it comes to being comfortable. When I was younger I could sit on about anything and still get my work done. However, that attitude can slowly take its toll on your body over time. Several years ago I started working at an office with all new office chairs which seemed to fit well and were pretty comfortable. These chairs seemed to have good padding and were moderately adjustable and so I thought they fit me okay. However, after a couple of years I started having a lot of problems with my shoulder blades aching, especially the left one. I couldn’t figure it out for a long time but as I last ditch effort I switched to an older chair that was a different design. It only seemed a little better at first but after several weeks I noticed a significant improvement in my shoulder pain and then after a couple of months it was gone. As an experiment I sat in the original chair that was causing me problems and after a few hours I noticed my shoulder problem started to act up again. The moral of the story is that even though a chair might seem comfortable even the smallest problem can turn into a major one over time.

I will save all of you the details but after a lot of research I end up settling on one of the 6000 series of chairs from Neutral Posture (see http://www.neutralposture.com/_site/products.php?cat=02 for details on Neutral Posture’s chairs). Along with being one of the most adjustable chairs on the market they also come in a variety of sizes and offer a wide range of materials and custom configuration options. You should easily be able to configure one of these chairs to match your every desire in an office chair. The only thing these chairs don’t have going for them is the cool look factor. Some of the chairs that Jeff showed are truly beautiful to look at. However, try sitting in one and you might (sooner or later) see why form should follow function and not vice versa.

There are several places on the Internet that sell Neutral Posture chairs but I ended up getting mine at Blue Hen Office Furniture (http://www.bluehen.com/neutral-posture-m-25.html?osCsid=8n0lejji4ad9btsivvkd75cri0 ) because of their great prices, wide selection of options, free shipping, and helpful sales people. Yes, these chairs can get expensive but in the long run a good chair will probably be one of the wisest investments you ever make.

No absolutely none, personally I feel they just get in the way. Whilst the reason for the topic of a comfortable chair is quite correct let us also not forget that you should invest in ergonomic keyboards and input devices.