Improved craigslist.org all city search

Due to popular demand one person's request, I added for sale searching to my existing craigslist.org all-city search page. I also made a few other minor improvements:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original blog entry at: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2005/04/improved-craigslistorg-all-city-search.html

Have you seen this one: http://www.paulrademacher.com/housing/

I have no idea how they do it.

Yeah, I have, and that one is VERY cool! Unfortunately I don’t have complete street addresses to map, only cities.

Love your Craiglist search. Thanks so much for it! Makes my job easier :slight_smile:

It ran really fast yesterday, but something’s going on tonight for some reason.

I had to make some serious changes.

How’d you get around the block by Craigslist? CLSearch.org had something very similar, but Craigslist said he was crushing their servers and blocked his IP.

The primary difference is that I am not using RSS, but gzipped HTTP requests for the first page of results. This should be a lot less demanding than the full RSS feed.

I’m not trying to get anyone in trouble here, or develop any kind of widely publicized service. It’s a utility for me (I needed it for my nationwide job search) that I thought others might find useful too.

If the craigslist.org guys ask me to stop, then I’ll stop.

Excellent tool! I do want to ask what’s up tonight though. It ran really fast yesterday, but something’s going on tonight for some reason.

How’d you get around the block by Craigslist? CLSearch.org had something very similar, but Craigslist said he was crushing their servers and blocked his IP.

This is extremely useful. Thanks for making it available!

I feel so stupid. I figured that out about twenty minutes after I asked the question. That’s even better than seeing the date!

AWESOME

What do the numbers mean next to the results and why are some yellow? I would love to be able to see the date of the posts in your all city search page as part of the results… because craigslist is always full of old irrelevent and exired job posts and I’d hate to get my hopes up.

Thanks for the cool program. I love it.

The number to the left is the number of days since that entry was posted.

Hello,
I use your site everday (search all of craigslist engine…, its perhaps the most useful tool i have run into in years, and i want to donate money to your cause, and the project. While i can not afford to donate much, you should realize this will be my first contribution to any freeware/groupware etc ever, so you should be impressed that i am so impressed.

Regards,
Nate - Austin Texas.

That’s very kind of you, Nate, but I recommend donating it to Craigslist-- they are ultimately the source of all the data!

Hey Jeff, I’ve used the search since it first when up. It’s been rock solid an amazing, thanks again for writing the code. It seems something has changed in the last two days, either the page won’t open due to bad server response or the individual sites come back with "bad server request, the server returned an error (400). I guess I’m wondering if this is a temporary thing or CL is trying to block the search. Thanks again. Jeff Cook

Jeff,

Some cities (varies each time) are coming back with:
couldn’t retrieve HTML from ‘http://www.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/search?query="Telecommuting+is+OK"areaID=50subAreaID=0cat=ofcaddOne=telecommuting’ The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request.

It’s been happening for a couple days. Just a heads up!

Barb

Hey there,
Great site, I use it every day. Thanks. Any chance of adding a “gigs” system-wide search as well?

Hi Jeff,

Can you explain to me what the message “FORM or QUERYSTRING variable ‘query’ was not provided” means? It’s been coming up everytime I try to search lately (doesn’t seem to matter what I am searching). Thanks, Kippi

Kippi, are you doing blank searches? That means you didn’t provide a query term. Eg if you just click “search” right after loading the page, you’ll get that.

Extremely helpful tool, thanx! hope they don’t close it down.

I found your search site today and it’s works wonderfully. I did notice that ramdom craigslist sites return this error:

The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server.

Not every city does it every time so it’s wierd.

After attempting to contact Jeff with no reply the IP’s that this tool uses have been blocked. We appreciate that some find this tool useful but it’s in direct violation of our TOU and is implemented in a way that thrashes our search databases.

-Bill (CL Sys Admin)