a companion discussion area for blog.codinghorror.com

Farewell Stack Exchange

Thank you so much for all your hard work, and for one of my favorite articles on parenthood entitled, well, ‘On Parenthood’, naturally.

I agree with you 100%. I have so many ideas for side projects, and even just things that I want to learn on my own…but in the end, they mostly get pushed aside because, well, the only way to get it all done is to ignore my family. It’s not worth it. It’s enough that I have to spend the whole day at a full-time job, the last thing I want to do is then go home and spend my whole evening staring at a computer again, instead of playing with my kids.

Anyone who says they are able to work full time, do multiple side projects and learn a dozen programming languages while still raising 2-3 children is either lying, getting absolutely no sleep, is completely ignoring their children, or they are Scott Hanselman (who admitted, if I remember correctly, that he doesn’t go to sleep until 2am most nights).

Anyway, good luck with whatever life will bring you. But, most of all, have fun with your family!

I’ve learned a bunch from you indirectly just by following Meta. Cheers and thanks for all the fish!

Thank you, Jeff for StackOverflow and best of luck.

I’ve been following you for years, Jeff, and I shared your excitement with the launch of StackOverflow. I had no doubts that SO would grow to the behemoth it is today. I’m looking forward to seeing your next project, but I’m also proud of you for making the the choice to support your current project: your family.

Good thing StackOverflow was successful enough to give you the option of taking six months off, eh? :wink:

Congrats and thanks Jeff. I have a 15 month-old myself and am part of a growing family, so I know what you mean.

I don’t normally comment because so many others have. However in case you have time to read all these:
My first thought was, “will Stackexchange survive without him?”. Then I thought, “because he’s done a good job of building it then of course it will”.

Enjoy your new phase of life!

Kudos to you Jeff for leading by example. I’ve been an avid reader for years, and I’m happy to see you continue to lead into uncharted territory. It sounds like it was a difficult decision, but one I’m sure your family will thank you for later. As well as the internet community. After all - if we have virtual community with each other but no family to speak of, what kind of community are we building?

While I can’t begin to judge you without being in your shoes, I must admit I was disappointed to here your reasoning for leaving. I think it sends the message that in order to launch a start-up you need to be a single person in your 20s with no obligations… family people need not apply. I find this sad. I think it would have been a much more productive message if you would have announced that you were limiting your involvement to X hours a week and Y weeks a year and that you were going to work almost exclusively from home. It would have sent a message that balancing work and family is not only important but practical, especially for people in the software business. By quitting completely, it seems to convey that there is no middle ground between crazy 24/7 devotion and non involvement whatsoever, which I don’t think is accurate. But despite all this, I wish you well and thank you for what you’ve added to make software development (and so many other topics) into much more of a community than it was before.

I can’t thank you enough for all you’ve done for me. Even when I know you don’t know me at all, you’ve helped me to become a better programmer. You lent me a hand, some times at ridiculous hours, with the perfect piece of code for the problems I was struggling with, or with the most simple idea that refused to come to my mind for hours.
Thank you for making StackOverflow, you’ll always be appreciatted.

Adriana Villafañe
(from the remote Argentina)

Thanks for build Internet better.

Good luck on your new life :slight_smile:

I would like to say thank you for you in Thai.

Thanks for Stack Overflow! Being able to interact and measure up with other coders has made such a difference to me. Especially the downvotes when I thought I was right but wasn’t.

Here’s a good article in The Guardian. If your family is really the reason you’re leaving, the dying agree with you: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/01/top-five-regrets-of-the-dying

If you find a good cause that would benefit from donations, mention it on coding horror.

Congratulations, your kids are lucky! Thanks for StackOverflow and the blog.

Thank you Jeff!
We hope to see you again soon as a citizen of http://Parenting.stackexchange.com
Best of wishes to #theladybabies because being a twin is just the best! :):slight_smile:

Congratulations, Jeff. Godspeed your new adventure!

I always suspected you of being a good guy, Atwood.

Enjoy your time off, Jeff!

I like to thank you as well! Your decision is wise.

I’ve been a reader of your blog since I discovered the intense discussion of wether or not to use stored procedures, way back in 2004 (http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2004/10/who-needs-stored-procedures-anyways.html)

I kept reading your blog and must confess I probably learned more from it, then from all the lessons I took to get my bachelor degree.

You inspired so many of us. And with stackoverflow you gave us something I was missing, when I started coding and only followed your blog. A community that does proove that out there are a lot of people with the same interrests/work as I have. (Imagine, my first coding job was in a company with only 3 people, I was the only one coding for .NET. Your blog was the only light in the dark at that time.)
Therefore I hope you will take up bloging a bit more often again!
(I don’t even mind you providing us with links to neardy gadgets on amazoon, from time to time.)

Wish you all the best!

I suspect the real reason you are retiring is so you can spend full time rolling around in your pile of money. But that’s cool too, you’ve earned it. Have fun with it.

Thank you and you are a good dad.

You’re my hero. Thanks for everything.