Farewell Stack Exchange

Nice post; saved in posts/motiv. :slight_smile:

Good for you Jeff. Very respectable.

Once again, congratulations to you and your growing family. Thank you for all your hard work on both StackExchange and this blog. Enjoy your time with your family as it will go by in a heartbeat if you blink. I do hope we see you again out here on the web. Until then good sir, Godspeed.

This is the first time I have ever allowed any site to access my FB credentialsā€¦ didnā€™t want to miss a chance to convey my best wishesā€¦ best of luck SIR.
Gaurav Pandey

Wishing you best of luck in your lifeā€¦

A blog on parenting seems like the most natural next step. I anxiously await it, while thanking you for your outstanding and life-changing work at the Stack Exchange. Best of luck, friend.

The internet wouldnā€™t be as good as it is now without you. I hope you enjoy the same powerful clarity of vision and care in all of your future endeavors (inside your home and outside it). Thank you, Jeff.

Indeed, you made the web a better place. I assure you that I rarely ā€œgoogleā€ my programming questions, usually I ā€œstack overlowā€ them (patent pending). However, I canā€™t wait to see more projects from you. Godspeed, for now.

May your family will appreciate this.

Thank you Jeff, and good choice.

The passage I have gone from, since those early days of following the building StackOverflow, has been incredibly inspired by your work. Particularly the podcast which I followed every week. Iā€™ve managed to go from project manager to half coder / half business owner since then. Iā€™ve worked with Google and other amazing companies, and I simply would not have got to where I am today without you (and Joel) for inspiration. I now hope to continue to build my company and maintain your pragmatic views on as many things as possible (Do you remember a question about this http://stackoverflow.com/questions/204572/ on the podcast? very exciting to hear you discuss the problem!)

I also deeply respect your decision about taking things easier. In the last 6 months I had, been putting in 90-120(once) hours a week, and it was an absurd way to live. I was in a position where I took on too much work, but it is hard not to when starting a business and getting cashflow going. I did some amazing work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U5Pv7D43qA which was my dream to be a part of (digital art).

However my personal life has taken a beating, and I canā€™t help but think I could have done things differently if I hadnā€™t pushed so hard. Itā€™s difficult when your in the mode to see, especially if you get on a role of overwork.

I hope others can learn from your example, and achieve a good balance, however hard that is to do.

Enjoy your new life.

Thanks, Jeff. I hope you will find the time to continue posting insightful commentary to codinghorror.com, which I thoroughly enjoy reading. You are a true asset to the community.

I do hope you get immense impact that StackOverflow / StackExchange has made. Thanks for the contribution and community!! And for me the support I get as a developer and bioinformatics guy (yeah, you can even ask R/BioConductor question and get an answer!!). All the best in whatever is next.

Good job on the design of Stack Exchange, most notably the Area 51 setup for adding new sites. Very, very cool. Iā€™m a game designer, and I know how hard it is to get people to do what you want in your system.

Nice work, I salute you !
I use Stack Overflow pretty much everyday and would be a bit lost without it, and am hugely grateful.

On the other hand, I have never really had the drive for a start up or to put the super hours and extra hard work in. I like to think Iā€™ve got a reasonable balance though. I work around 40 - 45 hours a week tops and am lucky enough to live within 20 mins drive (45 mins cycle) of work. I had kids later in life (Iā€™m 45 now with a 2 year old and a 4 year old) and I came to the same conclusion as you - that I would be cheating my kids if I was always at work.
Sure it would be great to have more money and more shiny things and separate bedrooms for the kids and better holidays etc. etc. etc. but, at the end of the day (apart from it getting dark), there is more to life than money and work. My kids would rather have Dad at home playing with them than Dad at work and bigger, better toys and a bigger better house to play with them inā€¦

Thanks a lot for everything you have done for SO, SE and the people using it. You have made the internet a better place indeed!

Enjoy the time with your family and good luck for your next adventures.

Thank you for the amazing community of StackOverflow you gave us. It completely changed my life and the way I approach programming.

Great work Jeff, your hard work and ideas have helped me out of some scrapes! Good luck with the kids!

Thank you Jeff. You are a noble man for leaving work for children :slight_smile: All the best and I look forward to hearing about your new ventures.

Jeff, thank you for StackOverflow, this blog and the very entertaining and informative podcasts with Joel. You have made positive impact on many lives.

Terry

Interesting that the death of Steve Jobs inspired you to call it a day, and for me to get started.