Choosing Anti-Anti-Virus Software

Hi Dude thanks for sharing this great info…I appreciate your knowledge…

Couldn’t agree more with this article. I’ve been anti-virus free now for many many years after battling with disk-thrashing, intensive security suites.

I asked myself the question one day; Why do I need this?. It always surprises me to see just how many people I would class as experts (programmers, sys-admins, etc) use anti-virus software. Surely there’s a deep underlying problem if I, as a programmer, don’t know that .exe attachments in random emails should never be opened.

I’ve never gotten a virus in years, thanks only to sensible usage. No need to sacrifice my RAID performance, so long as I’m not an idiot.

Choosing antivirus software is always difficult for those, who have a lot of their minds. For example, some programs are good in the proactive protection, others in the scanning process…and so on. But one thing is for sure, by getting it for free, you want get the benefits the company provides. But we are not talking here for the free 30 day trail, that some of them offer.

This is now my favorite blog post of all times!

I have:

Always hated anti virus software#12288;(for the same reasons)

1. Never seen it work properly or Never had any use for one
  2. Always been afraid of saying it bluntly to a sysadmin

This post just makes me happy for so many reasons, but this one rocks:

what we really need is Anti-Anti-Virus software to keep us safe from the ongoing Anti-Virus software pandemic.

antivirus

Search-and-destroy Antispyware.
Have you ever tried Search-and-destroy Antispyware? If you answered no, then you should give it a try. Over the years I have used many different types of antispyware and this is one of the best that I have ever tried. I was surprised and delighted to find that I could purchase it for a lower price than I could buy Norton and other similar scans that produce the same results. That makes it even better. Antispyware solution from Search-and-destroy can find the same kinds of bugs as these more expensive programs and is easy to get. Just click here http://www.Search-and-destroy.com and you can see how well it really works for yourself.

I always assume that my Windows is infected/corrupted. I never visit my bank from Windows, I never enter any account numbers in Windows. If I want to visit my Bank or purchase something online I use a live boot CD of Ubuntu. It may be a bit slower but its guarenteed to not be infected and it usually doesn’t take long to do my banking or to buy something.
Also when you want to buy something online just pickup a gift card from your bank. I get them for 2 bucks. Make your purchase and then use up the left over funds at the grocery store. If a hacker ever gets your number he gets nada.

With the advent of rootkits most of those malware scanners can’t detect the malware anyway. The number one best way to avoid rootkits is to surf the Internet in a Limited account. If you are using Limewire or any other torrent program be sure and use a limited account. I have gotten a ton of infections when downloading from torrents.

"The day will come when someone produces the necessary analytics software for the masses. It will be Task Manager on steroids. It will be the sunlight we need.

It will tell you what activities – services, apps, etc – are consuming disk, CPU, bandwidth"

This has been around for Linux for a while. The default system monitor in gnome tells you where the executable is located on the hard drive. It doesn’t tell you dependencies, but the package manager does…
There is a light weight program called conky that can tell you exactly what your computer is using. Things like disk read write speed, cpu temp, throttling, usage, highest memory usage, hughest cpu usage, process ID even the ports programs open up.
The only thing that sucks is you usually have to hand code it like an html page, but it is the best at what it does so far.

For you windows users, if you want to make sure that no one can spy on you, use a really tight firewall. This will stop a lot of spyware from getting out if you have a good firewall. But Windows comes with spyware out of the box. Windows by default has hidden services that allows whoever is watching (I don’t know who, someone is) to spy on you. Its so bad in Vista MS isn’t even hiding it anymore. MS has been doing sneaky stuff like this since late win95. The funny thing is they are not worried that it is a security risk, they are worried about people blocking it. This one fact keeps me away from windows unless I need it. When I’m done it gets turned off.

This blog is very interested article.

zeco_22_@hotmail.com

i need that…

salih-www,google.com

aljunaibininty@yahoo.com

al irq

gkfruvdk jdugvdkbdygkvsy jfsisk iodfkxop dsjo kvyvskjvxjdso jsdioslk skdwp kl jecjssopsakcposj isjjdsfl sjlvksop jyvskytfekfeycskbgbedlybfksxkvxh hkvdibdlvdu jftyvekbsyfekyuk hfskfsu jftrwj jdtvsjbfuvsdkfy jvyfekvsidskvuy hdetyxsocj jvftcsjvyfk hssi…
hvtcskgstsk5jdoskdopq3jwowk jssdkas jfycskfeygkpv
kfdieokvo jcstcskgetvwk yfkvstgbrjgobmbfk jfst sjk jwtybkgo jdyfskvsykfuxzl

jnfgnnl_f lml,ifu

abo_alzain

John Pirie said: “The day will come when someone produces the necessary analytics software for the masses. It will be Task Manager on steroids. It will be the sunlight we need… Maybe it’s already written; if so I’d love to know about it.”

What you want is Sysinternals’ free utility, Process Explorer: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/ProcessExplorer.mspx

It’s not for completely non-technical users, but it definitely fits the description of “Task Manager on steroids”; you even get a one-click way to do web searches for process names so you can figure out what mysterious processes are doing. (Unfortunately, when Microsoft bought out Sysinternals they switched the search engine in Process Explorer to Live Search from Google. At least the tool is still free, though.)

And to Jeff’s comment about “too many administrators”: What I want is a user account between administrator and standard. One that will let me install programs, but only into a location that’s specific to me (say a “My Programs” alongside “My Documents”), and that’d be limited to programs that don’t attempt to modify resources that are shared among all users. Windows’ notion of a “standard” user is too limiting and its notion of an “admin” is too expansive, IMHO.

I agree with Jimbo, sometimes you have to protect your PC from your own family!

You put a wolf in bunny suit and everytime most users click on it until the word comes out that the bunny is bad.

How about real punishment for virus, malware, spyware creators? No viruses, no anti-virus programs needed.

Conspiracy Theory - 50% of Norton Anti-Virus Employees write Anti-Virus software. 50% of thier employees write viruses…

“I don’t know how VMWare works, but, in my experience, Virtual PC 2007 from Microsoft is much slower than running on the real machine (even using the Core 2 Duo’s virtualization capability).”

You should try Parallels on a Mac sometime. It’s an eye opener. Parallels VMs running Windows XP on an iMac with 1GB RAM are sufficiently snappy to be indistinguishable from a native XP install – at least for anything but games (Parallels doesn’t do 3D yet).

For Mom and Dad, Parallels is plenty fast – and if they bork something up, just blow up their VM, clone a clean one for them, and they’re good to go again.

Jeff’s right: this is the future.