ASCII Pronunciation Rules for Programmers

Some danish pronunciations:

" = gsejne = goose eyes

{} = tuborgklammer = tuborg braces (as it resembles the old logo of a danish beer brewery named Tuborg)

Hopefully this wonā€™t mess up the charactersā€¦ The first two are the less than and greater than, sometimes referred to as ā€œwakaā€.

An ASCII poem:

!*''#

^"`$$-
!=@$_
%
~#4
[]ā€¦/
|{,SYSTEM HALTED

The poem can only be appreciated by reading it aloud, to wit:

Waka waka bang splat tick tick hash,
Caret quote back-tick dollar dollar dash,
Bang splat equal at dollar under-score,
Percent splat waka waka tilde number four,
Ampersand bracket bracket dot dot slash,
Vertical-bar curly-bracket comma comma CRASH.

-matt

I personally pronounce the * as ā€œpointerā€ when this is its intended meaning, e.g., ā€œint *xā€ becomes ā€œint-pointer xā€. x is, after all, a pointer to an int.

Awesome post. Really made me wonder what I say for each, and more often than not, it was the bold term.

/ are called Obliques too (wellā€¦ according to a scottish collegue)

My C++ teacher invented the pronunciation of 'row for = which is also how I pronounce the php - since theyā€™re basically the same, you just need to know what Iā€™m talking about to know what Iā€™m talking aboutā€¦

also for php, the $ is silent in a variable name. Though in Perl you probably should pronounce itā€“or just never explain Perl to begin with.

To be fair, itā€™s relatively rare that you have to read source code ā€œletter by letterā€ to someone. As someone above mentioned, if you say ā€œif a equals bā€ everyone you would possibly say it to would know that itā€™s supposed to mean ā€œif (a == b)ā€.

In the few instances of having to dictate a shell script to your mom over the phone, I find it helpful to say ā€œthat key left of the 1 keyā€ :slight_smile:

quote:

So the next time a programmer walks up to you and says, ā€œoh, itā€™s easy! Just type wax bang at hash buck grapes circumflex and splat waneā€, youā€™ll know what they mean.

Sounds like a PERL program.

I think Iā€™m the only one who actually decoded ā€œwax bang at hash buck grapes circumflex and splat waneā€:

(!@$%^*)

Again, it depends heavily on the context.

Iā€™ve come around to ā€œparenā€ and ā€œbraceā€ over ā€œbracketā€ and ā€œcurly bracketā€ (though itā€™s still ā€œsquare bracketā€ for me) as theyā€™re easier to say, despite not being terribly British. Iā€™m also slightly disheartened to discover we Britains arenā€™t meant to say period either, aaah well.

I find I need to find ways of ā€œreading codeā€ perhaps a little more than most because I find I think best when walking, so I think a lot about code while not at a computer. It rarely comes down to naming symbols though, unless Iā€™m thinking up a new syntax.

As for reading C# lambdas, for something of the form ā€œx = somecodeā€ I read as ā€œgiven x, somecodeā€ or if you want to be more expressive ā€œgiven x execute/perform/become somecodeā€. Iā€™ve also heard ā€œlambda of x is somecodeā€ which makes itā€™s role as a form of anonymous function explicit, though one could argue technically itā€™s incorrect. I do remember people on the C# team mentioning how they read it somewhere, but I canā€™t find it now. Most likely on Channel9.

"Martin said: ā€œThe symbol wich gives me mmore headaches is the ~ symbol, mostly because no one uses it everā€¦ā€

You must not be an embedded designer."

Or a game player. Tilde is used to bring down the console in Quake based games and many others. It causes a lot of headaches when itā€™s not internationalized properly and on my english keyboard I have to press Shift+# instead of `.

Actually ā€œcedillaā€ is only used in french and is much different than a comma. Cedilla is the little tail that is added to ā€˜Cā€™ in this character : ā€˜ā€™

In french, comma is ā€˜virguleā€™ and cedilla is ā€˜cdilleā€™.

The funniest ones i heard recently was someone referred to a : (colon) as a ā€œdouble dotā€ and an apostrophe (ā€™) as an ā€œup commaā€ - you couldnā€™t make it up! :slight_smile:

Technically, a sharp sign has two strictly vertical lines and two crossing horizontal lines that rise slightly from left to right. It predates the typewriter symbols by a few centuries.

In casual conversation, the symbol on the keyboard is pretty close, but you wouldnā€™t want to do something like ā€¦ mistake the hash for the sharp symbol when naming your programming language.

#9839; #

Btw,
In Deutsch ist ein ā€œ-ā€ bitte ein Bindestrich und kein Minus!

@DallonF: No, I did it too. You were just the first to post a comment on it. :wink:

ā€œ!@#$%^*? Thatā€™s amazing! I use the same combination on my luggage!ā€

The = is really difficult - just yesterday I tried to tell a colleague some C++ stuff and didnā€™t know how to call this. Explaining it with ā€œderefencingā€ seems to be the least bad wayā€¦

Btw. for single chars thereā€™s the ā€œasciiā€ command line tool (http://www.catb.org/~esr/ascii/). And I now noticed that it will even give correct albeit verbose results if you run ā€œ
ascii wax bang at hash buck grapes circumflex and splat waneā€ on command line :smiley:

What, no ā€œwaveā€ for tilde? I must be extra-rareā€¦

When I was in first year I had a C++ professor who had a background in typography. And one day he just went off on a tangent and said ā€œOh, by the way, youā€™ll never be able to guess what ā€˜#ā€™ is actually called.ā€ Ever since then, Iā€™ve been using the word ā€œoctothorpeā€ to irritate my friends.

"I think itā€™s more standard to call it ā€œsharpā€ than people think, as Iā€™ve always heard the first 2 characters of the first line of a *nix shell script (#!/usr/bin/bash or whatever) referred to as ā€œshā€™bangā€.

Thatā€™s funny, I never thought of that in terms of the word sharp. The first perl book I ever read called it a hash-bang, and said that it could be shortened to shā€™bang ā€“ the sh deriving from the end of ā€˜hash.ā€™

I guess it works for either.