Adventures in Rechargeable Batteries

forgot to write: yes I do prefer more programming-based content, but this is good brain-trainging too.

I think the only place where Iā€™d see a benefit with rechargeable batteries is at work, in my mediocre ā€œnoise-cancellingā€ headphones. The only other battery-operated gadgets I can think of are:

• Remote controls (self-discharge kills it)
  • LED or MAG lights (used so infrequently that self-discharge is a problem here too)
  • Digicam (uses its own special battery pack)
  • Cordless phones and cell (use their own batteries/chargers)
  • Various tools like laser levels and stud finders, again used infrequently

I think thatā€™s it. What else takes batteries? The only thing I can think of that really rips through batteries is a portable audio player, and since I donā€™t take the bus, I donā€™t need one of those.

Oh and josh, itā€™s actually not like putting a moped motor in a pickup, itā€™s more like filling the gas tank 1/3 of the way. Itā€™ll run perfectly fine, youā€™ll just have to refill it sooner.

Nice article :).

Itā€™s amazing how much of our lives could be dramatically improved if all the best technology was widespread.

~Jason (stalepretzel)

Iā€™m amazed that so many people still buy disposable batteries. Myself and my family are a few of the culprits. Itā€™s just not convenient to have to re-charge batteries after re-use, itā€™s so much easier just to throw them in a drawer and make others figure out whether or not they have any juice left in them ;D. On a more serious note though, this has woken me up to just how much re-chargable batteries would save in the long run.

You had me laugh at enjoys recharging batteries.

2017-update - what is the recommended smart charger nowadays? Preferably one with more than 4 slots.

1 Like

I just upgraded to these, I should update this blog post too!

And

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MXCIK32